Tips for making the National Broadband Network work for your business.

Back to menu

If you’ve managed to sift and sort through election and political spin stories in the newspaper lately, you know the government is quietly undertaking one of the largest infrastructure projects ever in Australia.

The National Broadband Network (NBN), an extensive project aimed at advancing Australia’s communication technology, will deliver a faster, more reliable broadband network for all businesses and homes.

With plans for the NBN to be finished in 2015, Australian households and businesses are looking forward to a future of high internet speed and stable connection to online global resources. Project managers of the National Broadband Network have also been looking ahead, enabling the network to evolve as it is installed, so come 2015, it is capable of delivering everything the latest technologies require.

If getting past the latest political front-pager hasn’t been easy, you may feel a little in the dark when it comes to exactly what the National Broadband Project is and what to expect. We’ve compiled some brief stats and facts to get you up-to-date.

  • The NBN will deliver optical fibre broadband at up to 1 Gigabit per second to 93% of premises across Australia. This is 50 times faster than current ADSL services and will lead to the capacity for high quality video conferencing, high-speed file downloads and uploads and faster browsing. The other 7% will receive high-speed fixed wireless or satellite services, providing 12 Megabits per second.
  • The NBN fixed wireless and long-term satellite services will be upgraded to provide broadband speeds of 25 megabits per second download and 5 megabits per second upload (25/5 Mbps). This 25/5 Mbps service will be available by mid-2013 on the fixed wireless network and from the start of operation of the long-term satellite service in 2015.

With time flying and 2015 really only just around the corner, it is important businesses stay on top of NBN developments so you can prepare your communication strategy to take advantage of the new network. So here’s the latest on benefits and opportunities:

  • Geography won’t be an issue. The National Broadband Network will deliver a faster, more reliable broadband network for all Australian businesses, no matter which part of the country you’re based in. This means more Australians will be able to participate and compete in a global marketplace.
  • No more delays. The NBN will offer a stable, speedy service. No more lagging behind technology-leading countries! This again gives us more opportunity to compete.
  • It will provide Australian businesses with access to high-speed, reliable broadband which will mean we’ll be able to take advantage of new communication technologies and increased data sizes. This in turn means we can work more efficiently, improve productivity and reach new markets.
  • We can reduce costs and find new markets with the improved connection. It will open up opportunities to conduct more online sales, transfer data more easily and hold virtual meetings.
  • Using video and high resolution images to show products and services to customers will improve due to increased internet speed.

Being ready for what the new network will mean for your business should already be a consideration in your digital communication strategy. Web design and implementation built on human experience strategies and web performance testing requires time and input from various experts, including your business leaders. Now is the time to start thinking about what you can offer your online consumers with significantly faster internet connection speeds.

The progress of the NBN project can be followed on this site: http://www.nbn.gov.au/about-the-nbn/nbn-progress/

For more information about optimising your design in order to make it work even better with the new NBN, please contact Platform on (02) 9911 7788.

Better Online Experiences™